- This week there will be services for the Meeting of the Lord. The usual Wednesday Akathist will be served at 5pm followed by vigil at 6pm on Wednesday February 14th. Divine Liturgy will be served the morning of Thursday February 15 at 7am.
- This week is Cheesefare Week... the prepatory week before Great Lent begins in earnest. This week we refrain from eating meat, but dairy products (cheese, milk, eggs, etc.) are allowed.
- One more week to renew your prosphora subscription. Your payment of $100 will ensure that your prosphora will be offered at every Divine Liturgy from the 1st day of Lent 2018 through the 1st day of Lent 2019. For bookkeeping purposes, the treasurer PREFERS a separate check for prosphora, but if you would like to include your prosphora prepayment on your donation check, please indicate clearly in the memo, how much of your payment is to be allocated for prosphora. You can give your payment to the treasurer anytime through the first day of Lent, Feb 19. This is also a good time to update your commemoration book. The books will be available at the candlestand in upcoming weeks.
- As noted earlier, we have an opportunity to do some volunteer work for Sunnyvale Community Services. This organization does a lot to help the homeless and poor in our community. Fr Martin is looking to find some volunteers to assist them in their work. Opportunities include:
- Packing groceries on the last Tuesday of each month, from 3:30-5:00pm. These grocery bags will then be distributed to needy families in our neighborhood. (Ideally looking for a team of about 10 people)
- Monthly food distributions on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 7:30am - 11am or 11am - 2pm. (2 to 3 people)
- Monthly food distributions on the 4th Wednesday of each month from 7:30am - 11am or 2pm - 5pm. (2 to 3 people)
- LADIES OF THE PARISH - mark your calendars for Saturday, March 17th, 11:30am to 2:30pm for the Ladies' Lenten Retreat. The retreat will be at Thalia Welch's home, sharing insight and inspiration from the book 'God's Path to Sanity' by Dee Pennock. Fr Martin is recommending this book for our study and discussion - it is an approachable guide toward the teachings of the holy fathers of the Orthodox Church on the nature and the healing of the soul. The book can be ordered through Amazon or Ancient Faith Publishing... best to order it soon so you have time to read and digest it before our retreat. We will enjoy a potluck Lenten lunch as well.
- Please sign up to host Fellowship for the first quarter of the year. We ask that all parishioners sign up to do coffee hour once per quarter to ensure that we have Fellowship for our parishioners and hospitality for our guests. Thank you so all who have already signed up! Click here to sign up.
- Our choir needs new members. If you have musical abilities and have considered joining the choir, this would be a great time to do it. Joining the choir is a commitment and has certain requirements, so please talk with choir director Nadia Temple to see if this will work for you!!
You can save this date! Next year's camping trip will be Thursday May 31-Sunday June 3 and will again be held at the Our Lady of Kazan Church site in Guerneville. Programs/meals will officially begin Friday night June 1. Camping space will again be limited to 40, with option to stay off site if desired. This is again the weekend after Pentecost.
- Each Saturday at 4pm Father Martin holds a spiritual talk in the church hall. Each Wednesday night at 7pm the Akathist Hymn to the Mother of God 'Pantanassa' will be served to pray for all those suffering from cancer.
- You are welcome to stay at fellowship hour as long as you like but please, if you are the last to leave on Sundays please make sure that the side gate on Beemer Ave is locked. Thank you.